MARKED FOR DEATH vs. HYPED TECHNOLOGIES
IT industry is a matter of fashion and it shows a constant change of popular technologies, programming languages, frameworks every year.
2018 year will end soon and we created a list of technologies marked for death on the one side, and, on the other side, we detected the most profitable ones.
Many well-known programming languages had a decline in popularity. They became obsolete because of two reasons: they have been completely changed or rewritten in other languages.
- FORTRAN. The programming language, which was invented by IBM and became the father of all programming languages many years ago, now is almost dead for IT industry. But it is still used among spacecraft society.
- Cold Fusion. Adobe bought CF. Then there was a severe battle between Cold Fusion and PHP, but Cold Fusion lost it. Nowadays PHP is one of the mature programming languages supported by a large and active community.
- Perl. The symbol of Perl is a camel, who performs really hard work. But PHP is represented by an elephant, who is almost the biggest one. Thus, over the years, the elephant swallowed up a camel. It is the law of nature.
- Objective-C. The programming language, which was widely used by Apple Corporation earlier, is almost coming to its end and being replaced by Swift. Swift reduces the amount of work needed and has better protection.
According to our recent article considering booming trends in IT, we have evaluated the most desired programming languages.
- Java. The most popular primary programming language, which has its own relevant motto: “Write once, Run anywhere.” Java is used to create cross-platform apps and that’s why Java has a priority over other languages.
- Python. Python is all about Machine Learning, development of AI-driven products and Blockchain-based apps. It is super powerful among software engineers, as it deals with a wide range of tasks, including web development, data science, game development, and analyzing data.
- PHP. The popular server side scripting language, that is universal for creating websites. Such excellent online businesses as Facebook, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Flickr use PHP, because it has faster data processing features and is adaptable to all operating systems like Windows, UNIX.
Now it is high time to evaluate whether your software engineers are aligned with IT trends. If you want to rewrite your software project into a much more modern language and take your business to the next level, you can contact us for advice.